Sunday, December 7, 2008

The weekend links


Crazy times, eh? I think we're all really swamped with work, hopefully this will divert your attention from studying (or while not paying attention in class). This is my last week in class and i'm really happy that this semester is over. It's probably been the most challenging few months so far in my MBA program because of my involvement with B!G, a full course load, and the 601 group project.

Over the holidays I'm going to book myself into a sensory deprivation tank for a session. Seriously I'm looking into it. If sealing yourself into a silent, dark, watery capsule for ninety minutes sounds restorative and fun, then hit me up, we'll make an afternoon out of it.

On with the links:


I love these pictures of media ownership in the North American tv market. It just reaffirms how valuable and precious the informational democracy of the internet is. Honestly, make sure to create content whenever/wherever you can online. It's important so that the medium doesn't simply become another outlet for messages to be screamed at consumers.

The BlackBerry Storm hasn't even launched and already it's causing huge problems for RIM. It's also supposed to be the most expensive product launch in the manufacturer's history. Um...maybe RIM should have focused on what BlackBeries are known for (quick typing), instead of bringing to market some flaccid offering that consumers are going to reject in favour of the superior iPhone.


I'd love to go to Socrota, an island off the coast of Yemen in the Arabian Sea, but I'm scared of Somali pirates taking me hostage. It's the most alien-looking place on Earth and reminds me of the Galapagos Islands.

You heard that sad story about the part-time worker killed by a stampede on Black Friday at a Long Island Wal-Mart? Apparently the crowd didn't kill him, advertising did.

Mobile phone retailers really run such a racket. Here are a few confessions of a Verizon Wireless customer service representative about the vicious truths cell phone companies don't want you to know.


Helmut Newton is one of my favourite portrait photographers. His work is exciting, really sexy, and unfailingly stylish. Although he's best known for nudes, you can see his other work here.


Cool watches from Nooka. No one will be able to tell what time it is (and neither will you!) but you'll get a lot of comments.

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

The West

The Midland

Boston

The Inland North

The South

Philadelphia

The Northeast

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


Haha - oh gee! Doncha know I have an accent that sounds like I'm from Minnesohhhda. Where is your American accent from?


Cool shoes, but apparently it's the eco-friendly recycled cardboard packaging that's the subject of this link. Found them through this great French consumer trends site.

Shit, so my blog will never amount to anything. Alright, time to rationalize the substantial self-expressive and functionoal benefits I get from writing original content related to things I love.

I really wish that some members of my project groups had read this article before submitting their written report portions to me for editing. What crap. Learn how to write succinct copy. Become a better writer. Honestly, good communication and language skills are seriously undervalued - that's the consequence of a business school that values engineering and commerce degrees more than general arts degrees.


Photoshopped but fun truck designs from Germany. I'd freak out seeing the top one if it drove up beside me on the autobahn.



"My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hon" - wow, I never considered what an empowering song Sir Mix a Lot's 'Baby Got Back' is. Funny link, check it out.


What were 2008's most powerful brands? Southwest, Mac and Cheese, Bounty, Blu-Ray, Jawbone, True Religion, and Vitamin Water (among others).

And finally, the stomping, thumping, bluesy new video for 'Detroit '67' by Sam Roberts. Great shots. It's the kind of song I imagine them playing between plays at Red Wings games.




Cheers everyone, have a great week.

Oh, and "Becky, look at her butt...it is SO big. She looks like one of those rap guy's girlfriends..."

No comments: