Friday, August 1, 2008

The weekend links, on a Friday


I'm out of town this Civic Holiday, so here we go:

Provocative interpretations of different flags of the world.

I don't tweet, but I can appreciate the frustration felt by social media junkies by its frequent outages. Important to understand Twitter from a marketing perspective too.

Thank God that the 16-month ordeal to get approval for the Sirius-XM satellite radio merger is over. Less time was spent planning for the Iraq war than for a merger between to satellite radio companies. Less time was spent approving the Exxon-Mobil merger! In Canada the merged companies' future looks a little more murky. Oh well, as long as I can stil listen to Howard Stern, I'm happy.


Japan really is on a different planet. Check out the latest on the out-of-home front from the clean streets of Tokyo.

Beijing Olympics in six days!!! It's very exciting to me and I can't wait to be glued to five different forms of media getting my fix of international sport. Also interesting is the spotlight this whole affair is putting on China's censorship and human rights issues, not to mention the pea-soup pollution blanketing the city. NBC had an interesting viewpoint on how the real danger to safety at the Games comes not from terrorists, but from uncontrollable outbursts of violent nationalist sentiment at protesters.

And finally, I know this was a moment from the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Games, but it illustrates the perfect Olympic moments that I live for every two years!



Have a great weekend all!

1 comment:

Kev said...

It's not called Civic Holiday in Toronto anymore. It's Simcoe Day, named after Upper Canada's first Lieutenant-Governor